Vitamite® Sweat Up®
For restoration of natural sweating and breathing in puffs and dry-coat horses.
Scientific formulation of electrolytes, minerals and omega 3 fatty acids with added maritime pine bark extract. Positive effects on key indicators over 60 days.
A Nutritional Approach to Equine 'Puffs' and 'Dry-Coat'
J.R.Biffin - Agricure Pty Ltd Mittagong 2575 Australia
Anhidrosis, or non-sweating, is a poorly understood condition affecting thousands of horses world-wide, mainly in tropics and sub-tropics.
- It was once thought to be a problem of acclimatization failure in horses imported to the (sub)tropics, but a survey in Florida, USA has shown that as many or more native horse are affected. This is also the case in Northern Territory, Australia.
- Symptoms are, to varying extents, a combination of
- High respiration rate (even over 100/minute)
- Poor or absent sweating (even when injected with adrenalin)
- Dull coat, scaly skin & crumbly brittle hooves
When Mitavite’s researchers began to examine the problem, they found that in most of the sufferers there was a high calcium/trace mineral ratio in the diet e.g. Ca:Zn greater than 70.
Several researchers have attributed the puffs, or “panting” rapid respiration (hyperventilation) to an alternate attempt at cooling, like a panting dog.
The problem with this explanation is that the affected horse does not have his mouth open and his tongue out; also the horse will hyperventilate before it gets hot – i.e. a normal horse working beside it hasn’t begun to sweat.
If the non-sweating were left out, and the other symptoms considered, a pig veterinarian would probably diagnose parakeratosis. That is what the disease has been assumed to be– a secondary zinc deficiency (“secondary” because there is sufficient zinc in the diet for a normal horse), – a response to zinc therapy within a week for a “first-time” sufferer is evidence that this theory is sound.
So how are the 3 symptoms connected?
There are zinc-dependent metallo-enzymes involved in each process – in the lungs, it is carbonic anhydrase, responsible for getting rid of carbon dioxide; similar enzymes in the sweat glands, and as in parakeratosis, scaly skin and brittle hooves respond to zinc supplementation.
So the treatment is:
- Sufficient electrolytes to induce thirst
- A natural anti-oxidant which enhances oxygen exchange
- A strong zinc supplement which is “immune” to absorption interference by calcium and other divalent (2+) metals
- Of course, the best treatment of all includes an air-conditioned stable
Since this research and the creation of “Sweat-Up”, there have been found occasional horses as far south as Barossa, South Australia which have poor zinc absorption and suffer from hyperventilation in spite of apparently normal lungs. So far, they have all improved dramatically with “Sweat-Up”.
The horses unable to sweat will sometimes take 6 weeks to recover, but most of the younger ones show improvement in the first week.
- Johnson EB, Mackay RJ, Hernandez JA An epidemiologic study of anhidrosis in horses in Florida. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2010 May 15;236(10):1091-7.
- Fahey,KM (1989) Univ Sydney Post-Grad Cttee Vet Sci, Control & Therapy No. 2691
Available in 3kg.
Daily Feeding Guide
Feed 30g (one level measure) morning and night. Short-term sufferers should respond in 4-7 days, chronic cases may take up to 3 weeks. Susceptible horses should remain on Sweat-Up while in a hot climate.
EACH KG CONTAINS
Sodium ions 132g
Potassium ions 13.24g
Phosphate ions 19.21g
Chloride ions 180g
Magnesium ions 34.05g
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 4.08g
Also contains Zinc, Iodine and Maritime Pine Bark Extract.
Our latest posts See all
Mitavite® XLR8® is an oat free, energy dense muesli style complete feed incorporating the benefits of steam extrusion and micronization, especially formulated for the racing thoroughbred and standardbred. XLR8® provides high levels of essential amino acids in a horse specific profile to assist with muscle function and recovery after strenuous work.
Unique Features of Mitavite XLR8®
• Highly palatable, high spec muesli style complete feed
• Packed with “horse perfect” amino acids, vitamins, minerals and electrolytes
• Contains Bonafide®, Mitavite’s exclusive Vitamin K supplement that supports bone density and soundness
Choose Mitavite XLR8® when
• Super Premium nutrition is part of your strategy
• Rapid recovery after hard work or racing is a priority
• You want your horses to have the support of Bonafide® every day
Mitavite® StudGro™ is a nutrient and energy dense complete feed specifically formulated to provide a quality, cost effective choice for breeding and spelling properties. Developed and supported by Mitavite’s team of Veterinarians and Nutritionists, StudGro™ supplies the nutritional requirements of mares, young stock and spellers in a highly digestible, easy to feed safe form. StudGro™ contains a full array of essential amino acids in a horse specific profile to aid the development of strong bones, tendons and muscles in young stock and the rapid recovery of race horses at rest.
Unique Features of Mitavite StudGro™
• Fully steam extruded for maximum digestibility
• Large nugget for convenient paddock feeding
• Highly palatable for even the fussiest eaters
• Formulated to support the development and replenishment of all body tissues.
• Packed with high quality ingredients
Choose Mitavite StudGro when
• You need a feed you can trust to nourish and nurture the growth and development of your young stock.
• You need an economical option for youngstock and broodmares
• You need a feed that will replenish muscle mass and restore good health in spelling race horses or horses affected by injury or illness.
• You are looking for a simple solution to suit all types of horses in your care.
Tried and trusted over many years, Mitavite® Economix Active® provides safe, cost effective nutrition for competition and show horses, working stock horses, pleasure horses and ponies and spellers in need of conditioning. Steam extruded to unlock the full nutritional value of its ingredients, Economix Active® is fortified with oils rich in Omega 3 to provide cool sustained energy.
Unique Features of Economix Active
• Fully steam extruded complete feed
• Nutritionally balanced to support active horses
• Barley based to support performance, weight gain and condition
• Highly palatable for even the fussiest eaters
Choose Economix Active when
• Your horse or pony is in regular work or competition
• You need to improve your horses condition or topline
• You want a complete feed that provides a good balance of protein, energy plus essential vitamins and minerals
Mitavite® Xtra-Cool® is the ideal choice for horses and ponies in light to medium work and for those horses or ponies that can’t tolerate, or don’t require high energy feeds. Xtra-Cool® contains a balanced formulation of vitamins, minerals, electrolytes and oils so you can be sure you are providing your horse or pony with the best in nutritional support without that heating effect.
Unique Features of Xtra-Cool
• Cool, non-heating formula
• Complete with vitamins, minerals and electrolytes
• Highly palatable & fully steam extruded
• Extra Magnesium for that calming effect
Choose Xtra-Cool when
• Your horse or pony is in light to medium exercise
• You horse can’t tolerate high grain rations
• You need a feed that keeps your horse looking good
• You need an economical, cool ration for spellers or breakers
Mitavite® Munga® is an economical, palatable, concentrated, low starch, gluten free muesli with no added grains that provides optimum levels of high quality, easily digested protein, amino acids, vitamins, minerals and electrolytes that provides a balanced ration when fed to suggested levels with adequate roughage. It is ideal for all horses needing more top line and muscle and for sport, show and performance horses that can't tolerate high grain rations. It is an ideal choice for horses and ponies that are good doers that can easily become overweight or are prone to laminitis. If more energy is needed, steam extruded grains, Vitamite® Power-On® or vegetable oil can be added to the ration.
Unique Features of Mitavite Munga
• Low starch level of 5.2%
• Palatable, muesli style formulation with a low feeding rate
• Contains Bonafide®, Mitavite’s exclusive Vitamin K supplement that supports bone density and good health
• Contains high levels of Essential Amino Acids
• No added grains
• Munga can be feed alone or added to a base ration to improve the integrity of the diet.
Choose Mitavite Munga when
• Your horse is in light to medium work and would benefit from a concentrated source of protein, vitamins and minerals but without the energy of carbohydrates
• Your horse requires a better topline or more lean muscle development for good health and presentation
• Your horse fizzes up on grain based feeds
• Your horse or pony is prone to, or suffering from laminitis and requires a low starch diet.
This product contains BONAFIDE®