Vitamite® Sweat Up®
For restoration of natural sweating and breathing in puffs and dry-coat horses.
Scientific formulation of electrolytes, minerals and omega 3 fatty acids with added maritime pine bark extract. Positive effects on key indicators over 60 days.
A Nutritional Approach to Equine 'Puffs' and 'Dry-Coat'
J.R.Biffin - Agricure Pty Ltd Mittagong 2575 Australia
Anhidrosis, or non-sweating, is a poorly understood condition affecting thousands of horses world-wide, mainly in tropics and sub-tropics.
- It was once thought to be a problem of acclimatization failure in horses imported to the (sub)tropics, but a survey in Florida, USA has shown that as many or more native horse are affected. This is also the case in Northern Territory, Australia.
- Symptoms are, to varying extents, a combination of
- High respiration rate (even over 100/minute)
- Poor or absent sweating (even when injected with adrenalin)
- Dull coat, scaly skin & crumbly brittle hooves
When Mitavite’s researchers began to examine the problem, they found that in most of the sufferers there was a high calcium/trace mineral ratio in the diet e.g. Ca:Zn greater than 70.
Several researchers have attributed the puffs, or “panting” rapid respiration (hyperventilation) to an alternate attempt at cooling, like a panting dog.
The problem with this explanation is that the affected horse does not have his mouth open and his tongue out; also the horse will hyperventilate before it gets hot – i.e. a normal horse working beside it hasn’t begun to sweat.
If the non-sweating were left out, and the other symptoms considered, a pig veterinarian would probably diagnose parakeratosis. That is what the disease has been assumed to be– a secondary zinc deficiency (“secondary” because there is sufficient zinc in the diet for a normal horse), – a response to zinc therapy within a week for a “first-time” sufferer is evidence that this theory is sound.
So how are the 3 symptoms connected?
There are zinc-dependent metallo-enzymes involved in each process – in the lungs, it is carbonic anhydrase, responsible for getting rid of carbon dioxide; similar enzymes in the sweat glands, and as in parakeratosis, scaly skin and brittle hooves respond to zinc supplementation.
So the treatment is:
- Sufficient electrolytes to induce thirst
- A natural anti-oxidant which enhances oxygen exchange
- A strong zinc supplement which is “immune” to absorption interference by calcium and other divalent (2+) metals
- Of course, the best treatment of all includes an air-conditioned stable
Since this research and the creation of “Sweat-Up”, there have been found occasional horses as far south as Barossa, South Australia which have poor zinc absorption and suffer from hyperventilation in spite of apparently normal lungs. So far, they have all improved dramatically with “Sweat-Up”.
The horses unable to sweat will sometimes take 6 weeks to recover, but most of the younger ones show improvement in the first week.
- Johnson EB, Mackay RJ, Hernandez JA An epidemiologic study of anhidrosis in horses in Florida. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2010 May 15;236(10):1091-7.
- Fahey,KM (1989) Univ Sydney Post-Grad Cttee Vet Sci, Control & Therapy No. 2691
Available in 3kg.
Daily Feeding Guide
Feed 30g (one level measure) morning and night. Short-term sufferers should respond in 4-7 days, chronic cases may take up to 3 weeks. Susceptible horses should remain on Sweat-Up while in a hot climate.
EACH KG CONTAINS
Sodium ions 132g
Potassium ions 13.24g
Phosphate ions 19.21g
Chloride ions 180g
Magnesium ions 34.05g
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 4.08g
Also contains Zinc, Iodine and Maritime Pine Bark Extract.
Our latest posts See all
Mitavite® Extru® Grains provide effective, safe feed-room options. Lupins are an excellent source of protein and can play a role in building and repairing body tissue. Steam extrusion not only improves digestibility, but limits the damage caused to the essential amino acid by processing such as pelleting micronisation and dry extrusion. Also available in Mitavite® bulka bags.
Mitavite® Economix Active® has been tried and trusted over many years. It provides safe, cost effective nutrition for competition and show horses, working stock horses, pleasure horses and ponies and spellers in need of conditioning. Steam extruded to unlock the full nutritional value of its ingredients, Economix Active® is fortified with oils rich in Omega 3 to provide cool sustained energy.
Unique Features of Economix Active
- Fully steam extruded complete feed.
- Nutritionally balanced to support active horses.
- Barley based to support performance, weight gain and condition.
- Highly palatable for even the fussiest eaters.
- Fortified with oils rich in Omega 3 to provide cool sustained energy.
- No Added Soy & Molasses*
Choose Economix Active when
- Your horse or pony is in regular work or competition
- You need to improve your horses condition or topline
- You want a complete feed that provides a good balance of energy, protein plus essential vitamins and minerals
Mitavite® Xtra-Cool® is the ideal choice for horses and ponies in light to medium work and for those that can’t tolerate, or don’t require high energy feeds. The uniquely 'x' shaped Xtra-Cool® contains a balanced formulation of vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, oils and extra Magnesium so you can be sure you are providing your horse or pony with the best in nutritional support without that heating effect.
Unique Features of Xtra-Cool
• Cool, non-heating formula.
• Complete with vitamins, minerals and electrolytes.
• Highly palatable & fully steam extruded.
• Extra Magnesium for that calming effect.
• No Added Soy & Molasses*.
• Unique 'X' shaped pellets.
Choose Xtra-Cool when
• Your horse or pony is in light to medium work
• Your horse can’t tolerate high grain rations
• You need a feed that keeps your horse looking good
• You need an economical, cool ration for spellers or breakers
Mitavite® Athlete Plus® is rich in scientifically balanced nutrients, trace minerals and electrolytes. Athlete®'s high levels of Essential Amino Acids assists with the rapid replenishment of fuel stores and muscle repair after fast work or racing, reducing recovery time. When mixed with grains of your choice, the palatable muesli style formulation of Athlete Plus® provides a complete ration for your high performance equine athlete.
Unique Features of Mitavite Athlete Plus®
- Muesli style base concentrate, packed with essential nutrients and electrolytes.
- Mitavite’s exclusive amino acid profile to support athletic performance and recovery.
- Contains Bonafide®, Mitavite®’s exclusive Vitamin K supplement that supports bone density and soundness.
Choose Mitavite Athlete Plus® when
- You want the option to adjust the grain ration for individual horses
- You need a concentrate with all Essential Amino Acids, vitamins, minerals and electrolytes required for race horses
- You want to use a feed that continues to be a proven performer at Group level
- You are wanting to support bone density and good health with Bonafide®, Mitavite®’s exclusive Vitamin K supplement.
Dr Biff’s® Vits & Trace Mins provides a balanced source of essential nutrients when only hay or dry pasture is able to be fed. Suitable for horses that cannot have access to good quality pasture or who are unable to tolerate dietary starch or sugars.
Important: Ensure sufficient fibre is fed in the form of pasture, hay or chaff
Choose Dr Biff’s® Vits & Trace Mins when
- Your horse or pony needs to reduce excessive weight
- Your horse or pony is prone to, or suffering from Laminitis
- You need to support a low-starch low-sugar diets e.g. in Metabolic Syndrome, PSSM
- You need to add nutritional value to a high fibre-high fat ration