Quick Soaking Beet Pulp Flakes - A premium source of super fibres for healthy digestive function.
The World's No. 1 Quick Soaking Sugar Beet Flakes. Speedi-Beet® is fast, convenient and is the healthy option for thousands of horse owners who now use the product and rely on its benefits. Speedi-Beet® is made from pure unmolassed sugar beet pulp which is a by-product of the sugar beet industry. Sugar beet is grown in Europe and North America as an alternative to sugar cane which is grown in tropical and sub-tropical regions of the world. It is mainly grown as a source of table sugar for human consumption.
Sugar beet accounts for 30% of the worlds sugar production. The sugar beet harvest in the UK usually takes place from September onwards with the beet being delivered into one of several sugar beet factories situated throughout eastern England. After cleaning, the beet is sliced into cossettes by a machine that resembles a kitchen grater and as much surface area is presented to maximise the sugar extraction process as possible. The sliced sugar beet is mixed with hot water and the sugar is extracted. After the water has been squeezed out, the pulp is dried and usually molasses is added back where upon the pulp is either used in its shredded form or it is pelleted.
Speedi-Beet® is manufactured from beet pulp which has not had molasses added to it and is therefore around 95% sugar free. The beet pulp then undergoes a further patented process and is then cooked utilising our process, micronization. This involves heating the dried beet pulp at relatively low temperatures for a short time using infra-red heat and prevents the protein from denaturing allowing for quicker release of nutrients into the horses digestive system. The micronizing process also imparts flavour into the beet pulp so the product does not require the use of added molasses i.e. sugar for palatability. The beet pulp is then flaked to increase surface area to aid rapid water absorption. That’s why Speedi-Beet® can be prepared in under 10 minutes instead of the usual 24 hours for traditional sugar beet pulp.
Unique Features of Speedi-Beet
• Pure, unmolassed, micronized sugar beet
• Provides a cool, slow release energy source
• Well digested in the hindgut – Beet pulp is approximately 80% digested in the hindgut
• Laminitis friendly fibre option
• 95% Sugar Free, very low starch level
• Short 10 minute soaking time
Choose Speedi-Beet when
• You need an alternative to feeding grains and high starch and sugar roughages for
– Laminitic or foundered horses
– Horses that can become fizzy
– Horses that are prone to tying up
– Horses with Cushings Syndrome
• You want to enhance gastrointestinal and microbial health
• You need to dampen the feed for horses with poor teeth
• You need to keep horses well hydrated
• You want to put condition onto your horse in a cool, safe manner.
• You have horses with or prone to ulcers
Available in 20kg bags.
Unmolassed beet pulp
Daily Feeding Guide
- Simply mix 5 parts of water to 1 part of Speedi-Beet® by weight, that's about 2½ parts of water to 1 part of Speedi-Beet® by volume.
- Leave to soak for 9 minutes using cold water or 5 minutes using hot water (fantastic in the winter to warm your horse).
- Once Speedi-Beet® has been soaked it can be fed straight away or it can be kept in a cool environment, enabling you to still prepare in advance if you wish.
DO NOT FEED SPEEDI-BEET® DRY. Unlike other sugar beet products, Speedi-Beet® will absorb up to 5 times its own weight as water. The bulking capacity, however, is mediated by its patented production process and will improve the inherent digestion in the horse. It is therefore recommended that concentrate allowances should be reviewed after a few days to ensure the animal does not gain weight too fast. The following recommendations are for guidance only. If replacing conventional sugar beet with Speedi-Beet® direct substitution can be carried out. Because of improved nutrient availability it will be necessary to adjust current feeding regime accordingly. Where Speedi-Beet® is introduced care should be taken to offer in increasing amounts, initially, to achieve recommended levels. As Speedi-Beet® is highly palatable beware of overfeeding. As a guide, horses require 2% of body weight as feed per day. At least 25% must be fed as forage, or high fibre alternatives. Speedi-Beet® can be fed up to 30% of the daily feed, depending on the circumstances.
As a forage replacer: When forage is unavailable, mix Speedi-Beet and chaff ina ratio of 1:3, soak prior to feeding and feed at the following rates:
|Exercise||Approx. Size (hh)||Body Weight (kg)|
"Chop 'n' Chaff" (kg)
|Light||9.0 - 10.0||200||2.0 - 2.5|
|13.0 - 14.0||400||4.0 - 4.5|
|15.0 - 16.2||600||6.0 - 6.5|
|Medium||9.0 - 10.0||200||2.5 - 3.5|
|13.0 - 14.0||400||6.0 - 6.5|
|15.0 - 16.2||600||8.5 - 9.5|
As a feedstuff: Up to 20% of concentrate allowance, either as commercial feed or cereals can be substituted with Speedi-Beet. Adjust feed allowances accordingly.
As a palatant: Up to 5% of concentrate allowance as a top dressing for hard feeds or where palatability is a problem.
As a conditioner: Use 10% of concentrate allowance, mixed into the concentrate to maintain optimum condition in roughed off horses or to fill out of condition horses.
As a nutritional aid: In cases where early grass growth leads to conditions of hind gut acidity, Speedi-Beet can be fed prior to grazing to reduce grass intake. Speedi-Beet is high in pectins and low in starch, allowing correct microbial fermentation and reducing the effect of acidosis related problems.
|Exercise||Approx. Size (hh)||Body Weight (kg)||Hard Feed (kg)||Speedi-Beet (kg)|
|Light||9.0 - 10.0||200||1.0||0.25|
|13.0 - 14.0||400||1.5||0.50|
|15.0 - 16.2||600||2.5||1.25|
|Medium||9.0 - 10.0||200||1.5||0.75|
|13.0 - 14.0||400||2.5||1.25|
|15.0 - 16.2||600||4.25||1.75|
An example of a suitable diet:
|Total Feed Per Day|
|Stabled Horse (No Grazing)||300kg body weight pony||500kg body weight horse|
|Speedi-Beet (Dry weight prior to soaking)||0.75kg||1.5kg|
|Oat Straw / Alfalfa Mix||2.0kg||-|
|Good Quality Hay||5.5kg||7.0kg|
|4 Hours Grazing (On Unfertilised Pasture)||300kg body weight pony||500kg body weight horse|
|Speedi-Beet (Dry weight prior to soaking)||0.75kg||1.5kg|
|Oat Straw / Alfalfa Mix||1.0kg||1.0kg|
|Good Quality Hay||3.5kg||5.0kg|
|TYPICAL ANALYSIS (Fresh Weight)||% Unless Indicated|
|Oil (B) Acid Hydrolysis||0.7|
|Energy DE mj/kg||12.0|
|Minerals||% Unless Indicated|
Our latest posts See all
An aid in the prevention and treatment of hoof disorders:
- Injured or poor quality hooves, thin brittle walls and thin soles
- Easily bruised heels, poorly formed frogs
- Horses or ponies with laminitis.
- Very palatable formulation
An aid in the prevention and treatment of hoof disorders such as injured or poor quality hooves, thin brittle walls, thin soles, easily bruised heels, poorly formed frogs or laminitis.
The supplement provides all nutrients required to accelerate keratin production. Whilst keratin production happens naturally in response to injury or insult, it can only occur if all nutrients required are available and consumed daily.
It has dramatic effects on the rate of hoof repair and regeneration and unlike many Methionine - containing supplements which deter feeding, this supplement is very palatable. It is also non-siftable which defeats the horse’s ability to leave a portion of powder in the feed.
Dr Biff’s™ Hoof Supplement contains
Biotin – well recognised as a rate-limiting nutrient for hoof growth and hoof quality.
Methionine – and Cysteine which can be synthesised from it, are the sulphur containing amino acids which are required more by keratin than any other tissue, often deficient when accelerated growth is required.
Zinc – if supply is marginal, tissue with abnormal demand is the first to suffer.
Vitamin E – essential to additional keratin production.
Vitamin A – one of the carotenoids essential to all keratinized tissues, needed mostly by horses not on high quality fresh pasture.
Omega-3 – all membranes, including hoof wall microtubules, and laminae, must have omega-3 to be built with suppleness and strength.
Iodine – iodine- deficient horses often show poor hoof quality
Vitamite® Show Primer® is a cool, low dose, high oil supplement for use when prize winning condition and presentation is required. Suitable and safe for horses and ponies, Show Primer® is highly palatable and easy to use in conjunction with your horse's usual diet.
Contains Echinaea Herbs
Show Primer® contains added Echinacea herbs for all-round good health and wellbeing. Trials have show that Echinacea supplementation can act as a blood booster by increasing the concentration of red blood cells in horses, supporting oxygen supply.
Magnesium is an important electrolyte that has a role in the metabolism of bone and energy in the horse. Cool, calm behaviour can be encouraged by providing the correct level of Magnesium in the diet, as deficiencies may have a negative impact on the nervous system.
Unique Features of Vitamite Show Primer
• High oil palatable rice bran based supplement
• Low GI and low gluten levels
• Contains Echinacea herbs to support good health
• Contains extra magnesium for that calming effect
Choose Vitamite Show Primer when
• You horse needs to add weight and condition
• Prize winning presentation is important to you
• You want a cool energy source
• You don’t want to fizz up your horse or pony
A rich, natural source of Omega 3, 6 & 9 Fatty acids. Helping keep the balance right for your horse by combining Omega 3 rich vegetable and fish oils with added garlic to help aid immunity.
- Performa 3® oil is an excellent choice for all horses, with benefits being seen across all disciplines and ages
- All performance disciplines may benefit with lowered heart rates, lower packed cell volumes and enhanced red blood cell formation, suppleness and flexibility as well as improved red blood cell strength – all vital for peak performance.
- Lung health may be improved due to decreased inflammation and improved blood circulation.
- Breeding stock may benefit with enhanced fertility and improved sperm motility when the sperm has been frozen or chilled
- Horses with cartilage degradation and inflammation may see an improvement in symptoms and all horses may benefit from improved joint maintenance.
- Performa 3® Oil is a cool energy source as well as supporting general health and well being.
Omega 3 oils are a group of unsaturated fatty acids that cannot be synthesised by the horse and are therefore required in the diet. The three essential omega 3 fatty acids are: alpha-linolenic acid which is found in vegetable oils such as canola and linseed. The other longer chain Omega 3 fatty acids are only found in fish oil. These are Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and Docoshohexanoic acid (DHA). As DHA and EPA are absent from plant food sources and the conversion of alpha-linolenic acid to DHA and EPA is inefficient the most direct way of providing these valuable long chain Omega 3 oils is by supplementation. Performa 3 oil provides serious levels of DHA and EPA.
Research in human and animal nutritional have provided many advantages for feeding Omega 3 rich oils, particularly DHA and EPA.
- Omega 6 oils have a pro-inflammatory affect on joints, skin and hooves. By moving the balance of power to the Omega 3 oils inflammatory responses are reduced.
- Research on horses supplemented with fish oil found the horses had lower heart rates and lower packed cells volumes during exercise. This can have a favourable impact on the time to fatigue.
- Omega 3 supplementation enhances red blood cell formation, suppleness and flexibility. There is an improvement in blood vessel strength, elasticity of connective tissue and membrane flexibility with Omega 3 supplementation.
- Lung health improves due to decreased inflammation and improved blood circulation. This can be beneficial for horses with exercise induced pulmonary haemorrhaging.
- Omega 3 supplementation increases insulin sensitivity. This increases the uptake and storage of glucose and ultimately the energy available to the horse.
- Bone and lipid metabolism is improved when Omega 3 fatty acids are used.
- Cartilage degradation and the pain and inflammation associated with degenerative joint disease such as arthritis is reduced with Omega 3 supplementation.
- Anxiety and anti-stress responses are reduced with fish oil supplementation, including improvement in nervous system structure and function.
- DHA-rich Omega 3 supplements are beneficial to the breeding stallion by enhancing fertility and improving sperm motility when the semen has been frozen.
Tried and trusted over many years, Mitavite® Economix Active® provides safe, cost effective nutrition for competition and show horses, working stock horses, pleasure horses and ponies and spellers in need of conditioning. Steam extruded to unlock the full nutritional value of its ingredients, Economix Active® is fortified with oils rich in Omega 3 to provide cool sustained energy.
Unique Features of Economix Active
• Fully steam extruded complete feed
• Nutritionally balanced to support active horses
• Barley based to support performance, weight gain and condition
• Highly palatable for even the fussiest eaters
Choose Economix Active when
• Your horse or pony is in regular work or competition
• You need to improve your horses condition or topline
• You want a complete feed that provides a good balance of protein, energy plus essential vitamins and minerals
Mitavite® Xtra-Cool® is the ideal choice for horses and ponies in light to medium work and for those horses or ponies that can’t tolerate, or don’t require high energy feeds. Xtra-Cool® contains a balanced formulation of vitamins, minerals, electrolytes and oils so you can be sure you are providing your horse or pony with the best in nutritional support without that heating effect.
Unique Features of Xtra-Cool
• Cool, non-heating formula
• Complete with vitamins, minerals and electrolytes
• Highly palatable & fully steam extruded
• Extra Magnesium for that calming effect
Choose Xtra-Cool when
• Your horse or pony is in light to medium exercise
• You horse can’t tolerate high grain rations
• You need a feed that keeps your horse looking good
• You need an economical, cool ration for spellers or breakers