Quick Soaking Beet Pulp Flakes - A premium source of super fibres for healthy digestive function.
The World's No. 1 Quick Soaking Sugar Beet Flakes. Speedi-Beet® is fast, convenient and is the healthy option for thousands of horse owners who now use the product and rely on its benefits. Speedi-Beet® is made from pure unmolassed sugar beet pulp which is a by-product of the sugar beet industry. Sugar beet is grown in Europe and North America as an alternative to sugar cane which is grown in tropical and sub-tropical regions of the world. It is mainly grown as a source of table sugar for human consumption.
Sugar beet accounts for 30% of the worlds sugar production. The sugar beet harvest in the UK usually takes place from September onwards with the beet being delivered into one of several sugar beet factories situated throughout eastern England. After cleaning, the beet is sliced into cossettes by a machine that resembles a kitchen grater and as much surface area is presented to maximise the sugar extraction process as possible. The sliced sugar beet is mixed with hot water and the sugar is extracted. After the water has been squeezed out, the pulp is dried and usually molasses is added back where upon the pulp is either used in its shredded form or it is pelleted.
Speedi-Beet® is manufactured from beet pulp which has not had molasses added to it and is therefore around 95% sugar free. The beet pulp then undergoes a further patented process and is then cooked utilising our process, micronization. This involves heating the dried beet pulp at relatively low temperatures for a short time using infra-red heat and prevents the protein from denaturing allowing for quicker release of nutrients into the horses digestive system. The micronizing process also imparts flavour into the beet pulp so the product does not require the use of added molasses i.e. sugar for palatability. The beet pulp is then flaked to increase surface area to aid rapid water absorption. That’s why Speedi-Beet® can be prepared in under 10 minutes instead of the usual 24 hours for traditional sugar beet pulp.
Unique Features of Speedi-Beet
• Pure, unmolassed, micronized sugar beet
• Provides a cool, slow release energy source
• Well digested in the hindgut – Beet pulp is approximately 80% digested in the hindgut
• Laminitis friendly fibre option
• 95% Sugar Free, very low starch level
• Short 10 minute soaking time
Choose Speedi-Beet when
• You need an alternative to feeding grains and high starch and sugar roughages for
– Laminitic or foundered horses
– Horses that can become fizzy
– Horses that are prone to tying up
– Horses with Cushings Syndrome
• You want to enhance gastrointestinal and microbial health
• You need to dampen the feed for horses with poor teeth
• You need to keep horses well hydrated
• You want to put condition onto your horse in a cool, safe manner.
• You have horses with or prone to ulcers
Available in 20kg bags.
Unmolassed beet pulp
Daily Feeding Guide
- Simply mix 5 parts of water to 1 part of Speedi-Beet® by weight, that's about 2½ parts of water to 1 part of Speedi-Beet® by volume.
- Leave to soak for 9 minutes using cold water or 5 minutes using hot water (fantastic in the winter to warm your horse).
- Once Speedi-Beet® has been soaked it can be fed straight away or it can be kept in a cool environment, enabling you to still prepare in advance if you wish.
DO NOT FEED SPEEDI-BEET® DRY. Unlike other sugar beet products, Speedi-Beet® will absorb up to 5 times its own weight as water. The bulking capacity, however, is mediated by its patented production process and will improve the inherent digestion in the horse. It is therefore recommended that concentrate allowances should be reviewed after a few days to ensure the animal does not gain weight too fast. The following recommendations are for guidance only. If replacing conventional sugar beet with Speedi-Beet® direct substitution can be carried out. Because of improved nutrient availability it will be necessary to adjust current feeding regime accordingly. Where Speedi-Beet® is introduced care should be taken to offer in increasing amounts, initially, to achieve recommended levels. As Speedi-Beet® is highly palatable beware of overfeeding. As a guide, horses require 2% of body weight as feed per day. At least 25% must be fed as forage, or high fibre alternatives. Speedi-Beet® can be fed up to 30% of the daily feed, depending on the circumstances.
As a forage replacer: When forage is unavailable, mix Speedi-Beet and chaff ina ratio of 1:3, soak prior to feeding and feed at the following rates:
|Exercise||Approx. Size (hh)||Body Weight (kg)|
"Chop 'n' Chaff" (kg)
|Light||9.0 - 10.0||200||2.0 - 2.5|
|13.0 - 14.0||400||4.0 - 4.5|
|15.0 - 16.2||600||6.0 - 6.5|
|Medium||9.0 - 10.0||200||2.5 - 3.5|
|13.0 - 14.0||400||6.0 - 6.5|
|15.0 - 16.2||600||8.5 - 9.5|
As a feedstuff: Up to 20% of concentrate allowance, either as commercial feed or cereals can be substituted with Speedi-Beet. Adjust feed allowances accordingly.
As a palatant: Up to 5% of concentrate allowance as a top dressing for hard feeds or where palatability is a problem.
As a conditioner: Use 10% of concentrate allowance, mixed into the concentrate to maintain optimum condition in roughed off horses or to fill out of condition horses.
As a nutritional aid: In cases where early grass growth leads to conditions of hind gut acidity, Speedi-Beet can be fed prior to grazing to reduce grass intake. Speedi-Beet is high in pectins and low in starch, allowing correct microbial fermentation and reducing the effect of acidosis related problems.
|Exercise||Approx. Size (hh)||Body Weight (kg)||Hard Feed (kg)||Speedi-Beet (kg)|
|Light||9.0 - 10.0||200||1.0||0.25|
|13.0 - 14.0||400||1.5||0.50|
|15.0 - 16.2||600||2.5||1.25|
|Medium||9.0 - 10.0||200||1.5||0.75|
|13.0 - 14.0||400||2.5||1.25|
|15.0 - 16.2||600||4.25||1.75|
An example of a suitable diet:
|Total Feed Per Day|
|Stabled Horse (No Grazing)||300kg body weight pony||500kg body weight horse|
|Speedi-Beet (Dry weight prior to soaking)||0.75kg||1.5kg|
|Oat Straw / Alfalfa Mix||2.0kg||-|
|Good Quality Hay||5.5kg||7.0kg|
|4 Hours Grazing (On Unfertilised Pasture)||300kg body weight pony||500kg body weight horse|
|Speedi-Beet (Dry weight prior to soaking)||0.75kg||1.5kg|
|Oat Straw / Alfalfa Mix||1.0kg||1.0kg|
|Good Quality Hay||3.5kg||5.0kg|
|TYPICAL ANALYSIS (Fresh Weight)||% Unless Indicated|
|Oil (B) Acid Hydrolysis||0.7|
|Energy DE mj/kg||12.0|
|Minerals||% Unless Indicated|
Our latest posts See all
Tried and trusted over many years, Mitavite® Economix Active® provides safe, cost effective nutrition for competition and show horses, working stock horses, pleasure horses and ponies and spellers in need of conditioning. Steam extruded to unlock the full nutritional value of its ingredients, Economix Active® is fortified with oils rich in Omega 3 to provide cool sustained energy.
Unique Features of Economix Active
• Fully steam extruded complete feed
• Nutritionally balanced to support active horses
• Barley based to support performance, weight gain and condition
• Highly palatable for even the fussiest eaters
Choose Economix Active when
• Your horse or pony is in regular work or competition
• You need to improve your horses condition or topline
• You want a complete feed that provides a good balance of protein, energy plus essential vitamins and minerals
Mitavite® Xtra-Cool® is the ideal choice for horses and ponies in light to medium work and for those horses or ponies that can’t tolerate, or don’t require high energy feeds. Xtra-Cool® contains a balanced formulation of vitamins, minerals, electrolytes and oils so you can be sure you are providing your horse or pony with the best in nutritional support without that heating effect.
Unique Features of Xtra-Cool
• Cool, non-heating formula
• Complete with vitamins, minerals and electrolytes
• Highly palatable & fully steam extruded
• Extra Magnesium for that calming effect
Choose Xtra-Cool when
• Your horse or pony is in light to medium exercise
• You horse can’t tolerate high grain rations
• You need a feed that keeps your horse looking good
• You need an economical, cool ration for spellers or breakers
Mitavite® Munga® is an economical, palatable, concentrated, low starch, gluten free muesli with no added grains that provides optimum levels of high quality, easily digested protein, amino acids, vitamins, minerals and electrolytes that provides a balanced ration when fed to suggested levels with adequate roughage. It is ideal for all horses needing more top line and muscle and for sport, show and performance horses that can't tolerate high grain rations. It is an ideal choice for horses and ponies that are good doers that can easily become overweight or are prone to laminitis. If more energy is needed, steam extruded grains, Vitamite® Power-On® or vegetable oil can be added to the ration.
Unique Features of Mitavite Munga
• Low starch level of 5.2%
• Palatable, muesli style formulation with a low feeding rate
• Contains Bonafide®, Mitavite’s exclusive Vitamin K supplement that supports bone density and good health
• Contains high levels of Essential Amino Acids
• No added grains
• Munga can be feed alone or added to a base ration to improve the integrity of the diet.
Choose Mitavite Munga when
• Your horse is in light to medium work and would benefit from a concentrated source of protein, vitamins and minerals but without the energy of carbohydrates
• Your horse requires a better topline or more lean muscle development for good health and presentation
• Your horse fizzes up on grain based feeds
• Your horse or pony is prone to, or suffering from laminitis and requires a low starch diet.
This product contains BONAFIDE®
Mitavite® Gumnuts® is Australia’s original and most trusted feed especially formulated for aged horses and ponies. Highly nutritious, palatable and safe to feed, Gumnuts® provides a unique balance of vitamins and minerals specifically formulated to address the challenges of old age. Omega 3 oils, antioxidants and essential amino acids are provided in a highly digestible form. Gumnuts® reduces to a soft mash when water is added.
Unique Features of Mitavite Gumnuts
- Fully steam extruded to maximise digestibility and nutrient utilization
- Nutrient dense to provide optimal nutrition for older horses and ponies
- Contains Bonafide® to support bone density
Choose Mitavite Gumnuts when
- Your cherished old horse or pony is struggling to maintain muscle mass and topline.
- Your older horse has poor teeth and needs his feed softened to a mash
- You horse needs the support of a premium feed during the colder months or when pasture is limited.
- Digestive function is compromised
Mitavite® Cool Crusada® raises the bar in the delivery of premium nutrition for sport horses and ponies across all performance disciplines. Adopting the latest research in equine nutrition and feed technology, Cool Crusada® delivers across all measurables and provides additional support for horses’ critical systems including:
- Energy is provided by ingredients that are delivered via 3 separate digestive systems, providing a balanced combination of fast acting, medium and slow release energies.
- Super-Fibres provide support for hind gut function whilst supplying a cool energy source.
- Mitavite’s® revolutionary supplement Bonafide® is included to support bone and cartilage integrity, and assist in maintaining soundness.
Cool Crusada® is a highly palatable muesli style feed, and it is a complete feed, which means you just add fibre and/or pasture. It is nutrient rich with an economical feeding rate, which suits those looking for a total nutritional feed for the sport horse or pony in medium to hard work or competition. And being super cool…it won’t make your horse fizzy.
Unique features of Mitavite Cool Crusada®
• Highly palatable muesli style complete feed
• Nutrient rich with an economical feeding rate
• Contains Bonafide® to support bone density and soundness
• Contains Super Fibres for cool energy and condition
Choose Mitavite Cool Crusada® when
• Your horse is in medium to hard work or competition
• You prefer a muesli style feed
• Your horse can get fizzy on traditional feeds
• You are looking for a total nutritional package for your sport horse or pony
• You want your horse to have the support of Bonafide® every day