Quick Soaking Beet Pulp Flakes - A premium source of super fibres for healthy digestive function.
The World's No. 1 Quick Soaking Sugar Beet Flakes. Speedi-Beet® is fast, convenient and is the healthy option for thousands of horse owners who now use the product and rely on its benefits. Speedi-Beet® is made from pure unmolassed sugar beet pulp which is a by-product of the sugar beet industry. Sugar beet is grown in Europe and North America as an alternative to sugar cane which is grown in tropical and sub-tropical regions of the world. It is mainly grown as a source of table sugar for human consumption.
Sugar beet accounts for 30% of the worlds sugar production. The sugar beet harvest in the UK usually takes place from September onwards with the beet being delivered into one of several sugar beet factories situated throughout eastern England. After cleaning, the beet is sliced into cossettes by a machine that resembles a kitchen grater and as much surface area is presented to maximise the sugar extraction process as possible. The sliced sugar beet is mixed with hot water and the sugar is extracted. After the water has been squeezed out, the pulp is dried and usually molasses is added back where upon the pulp is either used in its shredded form or it is pelleted.
Speedi-Beet® is manufactured from beet pulp which has not had molasses added to it and is therefore around 95% sugar free. The beet pulp then undergoes a further patented process and is then cooked utilising our process, micronization. This involves heating the dried beet pulp at relatively low temperatures for a short time using infra-red heat and prevents the protein from denaturing allowing for quicker release of nutrients into the horses digestive system. The micronizing process also imparts flavour into the beet pulp so the product does not require the use of added molasses i.e. sugar for palatability. The beet pulp is then flaked to increase surface area to aid rapid water absorption. That’s why Speedi-Beet® can be prepared in under 10 minutes instead of the usual 24 hours for traditional sugar beet pulp.
Unique Features of Speedi-Beet
• Pure, unmolassed, micronized sugar beet
• Provides a cool, slow release energy source
• Well digested in the hindgut – Beet pulp is approximately 80% digested in the hindgut
• Laminitis friendly fibre option
• 95% Sugar Free, very low starch level
• Short 10 minute soaking time
Choose Speedi-Beet when
• You need an alternative to feeding grains and high starch and sugar roughages for
– Laminitic or foundered horses
– Horses that can become fizzy
– Horses that are prone to tying up
– Horses with Cushings Syndrome
• You want to enhance gastrointestinal and microbial health
• You need to dampen the feed for horses with poor teeth
• You need to keep horses well hydrated
• You want to put condition onto your horse in a cool, safe manner.
• You have horses with or prone to ulcers
Available in 20kg bags.
Unmolassed beet pulp
Daily Feeding Guide
- Simply mix 5 parts of water to 1 part of Speedi-Beet® by weight, that's about 2½ parts of water to 1 part of Speedi-Beet® by volume.
- Leave to soak for 9 minutes using cold water or 5 minutes using hot water (fantastic in the winter to warm your horse).
- Once Speedi-Beet® has been soaked it can be fed straight away or it can be kept in a cool environment, enabling you to still prepare in advance if you wish.
DO NOT FEED SPEEDI-BEET® DRY. Unlike other sugar beet products, Speedi-Beet® will absorb up to 5 times its own weight as water. The bulking capacity, however, is mediated by its patented production process and will improve the inherent digestion in the horse. It is therefore recommended that concentrate allowances should be reviewed after a few days to ensure the animal does not gain weight too fast. The following recommendations are for guidance only. If replacing conventional sugar beet with Speedi-Beet® direct substitution can be carried out. Because of improved nutrient availability it will be necessary to adjust current feeding regime accordingly. Where Speedi-Beet® is introduced care should be taken to offer in increasing amounts, initially, to achieve recommended levels. As Speedi-Beet® is highly palatable beware of overfeeding. As a guide, horses require 2% of body weight as feed per day. At least 25% must be fed as forage, or high fibre alternatives. Speedi-Beet® can be fed up to 30% of the daily feed, depending on the circumstances.
As a forage replacer: When forage is unavailable, mix Speedi-Beet and chaff ina ratio of 1:3, soak prior to feeding and feed at the following rates:
|Exercise||Approx. Size (hh)||Body Weight (kg)|
"Chop 'n' Chaff" (kg)
|Light||9.0 - 10.0||200||2.0 - 2.5|
|13.0 - 14.0||400||4.0 - 4.5|
|15.0 - 16.2||600||6.0 - 6.5|
|Medium||9.0 - 10.0||200||2.5 - 3.5|
|13.0 - 14.0||400||6.0 - 6.5|
|15.0 - 16.2||600||8.5 - 9.5|
As a feedstuff: Up to 20% of concentrate allowance, either as commercial feed or cereals can be substituted with Speedi-Beet. Adjust feed allowances accordingly.
As a palatant: Up to 5% of concentrate allowance as a top dressing for hard feeds or where palatability is a problem.
As a conditioner: Use 10% of concentrate allowance, mixed into the concentrate to maintain optimum condition in roughed off horses or to fill out of condition horses.
As a nutritional aid: In cases where early grass growth leads to conditions of hind gut acidity, Speedi-Beet can be fed prior to grazing to reduce grass intake. Speedi-Beet is high in pectins and low in starch, allowing correct microbial fermentation and reducing the effect of acidosis related problems.
|Exercise||Approx. Size (hh)||Body Weight (kg)||Hard Feed (kg)||Speedi-Beet (kg)|
|Light||9.0 - 10.0||200||1.0||0.25|
|13.0 - 14.0||400||1.5||0.50|
|15.0 - 16.2||600||2.5||1.25|
|Medium||9.0 - 10.0||200||1.5||0.75|
|13.0 - 14.0||400||2.5||1.25|
|15.0 - 16.2||600||4.25||1.75|
An example of a suitable diet:
|Total Feed Per Day|
|Stabled Horse (No Grazing)||300kg body weight pony||500kg body weight horse|
|Speedi-Beet (Dry weight prior to soaking)||0.75kg||1.5kg|
|Oat Straw / Alfalfa Mix||2.0kg||-|
|Good Quality Hay||5.5kg||7.0kg|
|4 Hours Grazing (On Unfertilised Pasture)||300kg body weight pony||500kg body weight horse|
|Speedi-Beet (Dry weight prior to soaking)||0.75kg||1.5kg|
|Oat Straw / Alfalfa Mix||1.0kg||1.0kg|
|Good Quality Hay||3.5kg||5.0kg|
|TYPICAL ANALYSIS (Fresh Weight)||% Unless Indicated|
|Oil (B) Acid Hydrolysis||0.7|
|Energy DE mj/kg||12.0|
|Minerals||% Unless Indicated|
Our latest posts See all
An aid in the prevention and treatment of hoof disorders:
- Injured or poor quality hooves, thin brittle walls and thin soles
- Easily bruised heels, poorly formed frogs
- Horses or ponies with laminitis.
- Very palatable formulation
An aid in the prevention and treatment of hoof disorders such as injured or poor quality hooves, thin brittle walls, thin soles, easily bruised heels, poorly formed frogs or laminitis.
The supplement provides all nutrients required to accelerate keratin production. Whilst keratin production happens naturally in response to injury or insult, it can only occur if all nutrients required are available and consumed daily.
It has dramatic effects on the rate of hoof repair and regeneration and unlike many Methionine-containing supplements which deter feeding, this supplement is very palatable. It is also non-siftable which defeats the horse’s ability to leave a portion of powder in the feed.
Dr Biff’s Hoof Supplement contains
Biotin – well recognised as a rate-limiting nutrient for hoof growth and hoof quality.
Methionine – and Cysteine which can be synthesised from it, are the sulphur containing amino acids which are required more by keratin than any other tissue, often deficient when accelerated growth is required.
Zinc – if supply is marginal, tissue with abnormal demand is the first to suffer.
Vitamin E – essential to additional keratin production.
Vitamin A – one of the carotenoids essential to all keratinized tissues, needed mostly by horses not on high quality fresh pasture.
Omega-3 – all membranes, including hoof wall microtubules, and laminae, must have omega-3 to be built with suppleness and strength.
Iodine – iodine- deficient horses often show poor hoof quality
Vitamite® Bonafide® explained:
- The active ingredient in Bonafide® is Quinaquanone, a water soluble, bio-available form of Vitamin K1 & K2.
- Vitamin K1 & K2 has a critical effect on the function of osteocalcin, the bone protein that binds the mineral and protein in bone together. Without sufficient Vitamin K the binding process is incomplete and low density or defective bone and cartilage are produced.
- Vitamin K1 & K2 are naturally available in fresh, growing green pasture but it is highly unstable, being degraded by UV light, wilting or “wintering off”.
- Horses that do not have constant access to high quality pasture are likely to be deficient in Vitamin K, leading to a reduction in bone density and bone strength.
- Horses removed from Vitamin K rich pasture and brought into a box/yard regime have demonstrated a reduction in bone density within 7-10 days.
- There is an established correlation between bone density and the incidence of OCDs and DODs in yearlings and DMD (shinsoreness) in 2 year olds.
- Bonafide® is the first product to contain Quinaquanone, a bioavailable form of Vitamin K1 and K2.
The Mitavite® range of super premium breeding and race feeds now contain Bonafide®. These include the market leading race feeds Formula 3®, Athlete Plus™ and XLR8®, our trusted breeding feeds Breeda®, Promita® and Yearling Prep®, our speciality feed for old horses Gumnuts® and our muesli concentrate Munga®.
Trials have showed a marked increase in bone density on BONAFIDE treated two year olds.
26 Two year old thoroughbred racehorses at commencement of training for racing were divided into two groups. One group 'BONAFIDE' RECEIVED 7MG Vitamin K formulation each day in feed for six months.
The other group “Control” received an apparently identical powder containing no natural Vitamin K.
Digital radiographs of the left third metacarpal bone and an adjacent aluminium step wedge were taken at carious intervals. The radiographic density of the bone and the step wedge wer measured and RBAE (radiographic bone aluminium equivalence) calculated.
At each subsequent measurement the RBAE for each horse was compared to its initial RBAE and the percentage change recorded.
Bonafide is now available in selected Mitavite feeds
The MITAVITE range of super premium breeding, sport and lifestyle and race feeds now contain BONAFIDE.
These include the market leading race feeds FORMULA 3, ATHLETE PLUS, XLR8, ENERGIZA and IMPACTA, our trusted breeding feeds BREEDA, PROMITA and YEARLING PREP, our speciality feed for old horses GUMNUTS and our muesli concentrate MUNGA.
Vitamite® Power-On® is a highly digestible, steam extruded, concentrated rice extract that is suitable to be added to all equine diets to provide high levels of oil and cool energy to assist with conditioning and top line. Power-On® provides a cool, safe, sustained energy level that minimises sugar fluctuations and spikes, compared with raw grains such as corn or barley. Exercising horses benefit from the increased levels of Selenium and Vitamin E that assist with muscle function and the Ferulic Acid found in Power-On® provides natural antioxidants that protect cell membranes from exercise induced damage.
Simply add Power-On® to a Mitavite complete feed or nutrient balancer to:
- Enhance condition for race horses and sport horses in work.
- For poor doers needing more weight.
- To enhance cover on yearlings being prepared for sale or show horses and ponies.
- For horses prone to tying up that need a low starch energy source.
- For fizzy horses needing a cool energy source.
Vitamite® Anazolic® is a potent source of gamma-oryzanol.
Anazolic® is Australia's first registered source of supplementary gamma oryzanol, providing over 1200mg per dose to reach levels necessary for improved appetite.
Gamma Oryzanol, a natural, plant derived anti-oxidant, has been shown to be anabolic and have a protective effect against stress-induced stomach ulcers in other species.
Anazolic® is a valuable nutritional tool for:
- Horses with reduced appetite under hard work or racing
- Yearlings being prepared for sale
- Horses that require more topline and muscling
Registered with APVMA as an appetite stimulant for horses.
Not available in New Zealand.
Lean muscle mass and strong bone is built by providing good quality protein, amino acids and vitamins and minerals that target muscle and bone growth and remodelling. Super Amino 66® contains 66% horse perfect protein and an amino acid profile plus vitamins and minerals that may assist in the development of lean muscle and strong bones.
The 66% horse perfect protein found in Super Amino 66® is complemented by all 10 essential amino acids and increased levels of the valuable branched chain amino acids that may be beneficial in the building and the repair of muscle plus added antioxidants that may be of assistance in enhancing recovery after work.
Super Amino 66® contains a full complement of vitamins and minerals. It is a favourable addition to any horse's ration that need their performance and preparation accelerated and enhanced. If you are serious about performance you need to have one supplement in your feed room and it should be Super Amino 66®.
Race and Performance Horses
• Horse perfect protein and essential amino acids build strong lean muscle
• Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA) increase the muscle building power of the feed.
• BCAA may be rapidly converted to energy to contribute to the ‘fuel tank’ during races and competition.
• Antioxidants can reduce oxidative damage after exercise, improving recovery times.
• Bonafide may improve bone geometry and density, that may contribute lowering shin soreness in 2 year olds.
• Essential amino acids and BCAA build good top line and muscle definition.
• Bonafide assists in keeping bones strong and dense.
• Increased nutrients and a horse perfect protein helps to keep older horses in peak condition
Backward Weanlings and Orphaned Foals
• Essential Amino Acids, vitamins, minerals and Bonafide, assists to enhance the growth in height and muscle of young growing horses.
• Correct levels of protein, anti-oxidants, Bonafide, vitamins and minerals help to re-build and
Horses needing more top line and muscle repair
• Good quality protein with the right balance of essential amino acids helps to build lean muscle mass and top line.