Vitamite® Fast Twitch Formula™
A potent blend of nutrients and anti-oxidants to maintain glycogen storage and mitochondria generation in fast twitch oxidative fibres
Targeting supple & smooth adaptation of fast twitch oxidative muscle fibres. A potent blend of nutrients and anti-oxidants to normalise glycogen storage and mitochondria generation in fast twitch oxidative fibres.
As horses progress (during a preparation) from paddock condition to race fitness, muscle fibres must adapt to the increasing demands made on them. When work steps up to ¾ pace, Fast Twitch Oxidative Fibres are recruited to provide the power. As with other body tissues these muscle fibres must be trained to enable them to store glycogen and to generate more mitochondria (the power houses of the muscle cell) to use glycogen. If work rate gets too far ahead of mitochondria production, muscles may lose suppleness.
Vitamite® Fast Twitch Formula™ provides specific nutrients to assist mitochondrial formation, anti-oxidant vitamins, selenium to enable glutathione peroxidase production and magnesium to address the metabolism imbalance caused by calcium flux on the muscle cell wall. For horses positive to the GYS1 gene (PSSM), feed a diet with almost no starch, e.g. Munga® and hay and add Fast Twitch Formula™ pellets. For best results, Vitamite® Fast Twitch Formula™ should be used in conjunction with an exercise program that maximises the use of the Fast Twitch Oxidative fibres.
There are 3 types of muscle fibres that need to be considered in an exercise program:
- Slow Twitch Fibres (STF) that are recruited in slow work.
- Fast Twitch Oxidative Fibres (FTO) that are recruited at ¾ pace.
- Fast Twitch Anaerobic Fibres (FTA) that are recruited when sprinting.
The purpose of this exercise regime is to work the FTO Fibres to stimulate the production of mitochondria in these muscle cells. To avoid using the Slow Twitch Fibres (STF) initial work should be at ¾ pace*, with little or preferably no warm-up. Similarly avoid sprint work as this recruits the muscle’s Fast Twitch Anaerobic Fibres, then warm down. Repeat this program twice each week for three weeks in conjunction with a daily 400g dose of Vitamite® Fast Twitch Formula™ and the extra mitochondria generated will have corrected the imbalance.
These results can also be achieved with 1 minute of energetic swimming.
*¾ pace – 600 mtrs in 45 seconds for a galloper, 800 mtrs in 68 seconds for a pacer.
Available in 12kg pails, providing a 30 day supply for 1 horse.
Daily Feeding Guide
Add 1 cup (200gs) to morning and evening feeds for 3 weeks or until smooth adaptation returns.
For horses with a history of poor adaptation, a 3 week course of Vitamite® Fast Twitch Formula™ is recommended prior to beginning of pace work.
|Each 400g (2 cups) contains:|
|Branched Chain AAs||22g|
Our latest posts See all
Mitavite® Gumnuts® is Australia’s original and most trusted feed especially formulated for aged horses and ponies. Highly nutritious, palatable and safe to feed, Gumnuts® provides a unique balance of vitamins and minerals specifically formulated to address the challenges of old age. Omega 3 oils, antioxidants and essential amino acids are provided in a highly digestible form. Gumnuts® reduces to a soft mash when water is added.
Unique Features of Mitavite Gumnuts
- Fully steam extruded to maximise digestibility and nutrient utilization
- Nutrient dense to provide optimal nutrition for older horses and ponies
- Contains Bonafide® to support bone density
Choose Mitavite Gumnuts when
- Your cherished old horse or pony is struggling to maintain muscle mass and topline.
- Your older horse has poor teeth and needs his feed softened to a mash
- You horse needs the support of a premium feed during the colder months or when pasture is limited.
- Digestive function is compromised
An aid in the prevention and treatment of hoof disorders:
- Injured or poor quality hooves, thin brittle walls and thin soles
- Easily bruised heels, poorly formed frogs
- Horses or ponies with laminitis.
- Very palatable formulation
An aid in the prevention and treatment of hoof disorders such as injured or poor quality hooves, thin brittle walls, thin soles, easily bruised heels, poorly formed frogs or laminitis.
The supplement provides all nutrients required to accelerate keratin production. Whilst keratin production happens naturally in response to injury or insult, it can only occur if all nutrients required are available and consumed daily.
It has dramatic effects on the rate of hoof repair and regeneration and unlike many Methionine-containing supplements which deter feeding, this supplement is very palatable. It is also non-siftable which defeats the horse’s ability to leave a portion of powder in the feed.
Dr Biff’s Hoof Supplement contains
Biotin – well recognised as a rate-limiting nutrient for hoof growth and hoof quality.
Methionine – and Cysteine which can be synthesised from it, are the sulphur containing amino acids which are required more by keratin than any other tissue, often deficient when accelerated growth is required.
Zinc – if supply is marginal, tissue with abnormal demand is the first to suffer.
Vitamin E – essential to additional keratin production.
Vitamin A – one of the carotenoids essential to all keratinized tissues, needed mostly by horses not on high quality fresh pasture.
Omega-3 – all membranes, including hoof wall microtubules, and laminae, must have omega-3 to be built with suppleness and strength.
Iodine – iodine- deficient horses often show poor hoof quality
Mitavite® Athlete Plus™ is rich in scientifically balanced nutrients, trace minerals and electrolytes and is packed with high levels of essential amino acids in a horse specific profile to assist with the rapid replenishment of fuel stores and to aid recovery and muscle repair after fast work or racing. When mixed with grains, the palatable muesli style formulation of Athlete Plus provides a complete ration for your high performance equine athlete.
Unique Features of Mitavite Athlete Plus®
- Muesli style base concentrate, packed with essential nutrients
- Mitavite’s exclusive amino acid profile to support athletic performance and recovery
- Contains Bonafide®, Mitavite’s exclusive Vitamin K supplement that supports bone density and soundness
- To 2 kgs per day, just add your choice of grains
Choose Mitavite Athlete Plus® when
- You want to use the feed that champion trainers use
- You want the option to adjust the grain ration for individual horses
- It is important that a concentrate provides all amino acid, vitamin, mineral and electrolyte requirements for racing horses.
- You want your horses to have the support of Bonafide® every day
Vitamite® Bonafide® explained:
- The active ingredient in Bonafide® is Quinaquanone, a water soluble, bio-available form of Vitamin K1 & K2.
- Vitamin K1 & K2 has a critical effect on the function of osteocalcin, the bone protein that binds the mineral and protein in bone together. Without sufficient Vitamin K the binding process is incomplete and low density or defective bone and cartilage are produced.
- Vitamin K1 & K2 are naturally available in fresh, growing green pasture but it is highly unstable, being degraded by UV light, wilting or “wintering off”.
- Horses that do not have constant access to high quality pasture are likely to be deficient in Vitamin K, leading to a reduction in bone density and bone strength.
- Horses removed from Vitamin K rich pasture and brought into a box/yard regime have demonstrated a reduction in bone density within 7-10 days.
- There is an established correlation between bone density and the incidence of OCDs and DODs in yearlings and DMD (shinsoreness) in 2 year olds.
- Bonafide® is the first product to contain Quinaquanone, a bioavailable form of Vitamin K1 and K2.
The Mitavite® range of super premium breeding and race feeds now contain Bonafide®. These include the market leading race feeds Formula 3®, Athlete Plus™ and XLR8®, our trusted breeding feeds Breeda®, Promita® and Yearling Prep®, our speciality feed for old horses Gumnuts® and our muesli concentrate Munga®.
Trials have showed a marked increase in bone density on BONAFIDE treated two year olds.
26 Two year old thoroughbred racehorses at commencement of training for racing were divided into two groups. One group 'BONAFIDE' RECEIVED 7MG Vitamin K formulation each day in feed for six months.
The other group “Control” received an apparently identical powder containing no natural Vitamin K.
Digital radiographs of the left third metacarpal bone and an adjacent aluminium step wedge were taken at carious intervals. The radiographic density of the bone and the step wedge wer measured and RBAE (radiographic bone aluminium equivalence) calculated.
At each subsequent measurement the RBAE for each horse was compared to its initial RBAE and the percentage change recorded.
Bonafide is now available in selected Mitavite feeds
The MITAVITE range of super premium breeding, sport and lifestyle and race feeds now contain BONAFIDE.
These include the market leading race feeds FORMULA 3, ATHLETE PLUS, XLR8, ENERGIZA and IMPACTA, our trusted breeding feeds BREEDA, PROMITA and YEARLING PREP, our speciality feed for old horses GUMNUTS and our muesli concentrate MUNGA.
Calcium complex for maximum bioavailability.
Calcium is an essential mineral, supporting correct, healthy bone development and remodelling in growing and adult horses. Many grasses, including kikuyu, buffel, pangola, setaria, stargrass and panics contain high levels of oxalate, which bind calcium, limiting it's availability to grazing horses even when pasture is plentiful.
Vitamite® Bone Power™ uses advanced complexing technology to optimise calcium uptake.
- Palatable high-dose calcium supplementary
- Prepared using advanced complexing technology to optimise calcium bioavailability
- Contains a significantly large dose of Vitamin D to enhance calcium uptake
- High doses of B vitamins and trace minerals essential for bone health
- Restores calcium-phosphorous balance in horses on high grain or high phytate diets
- Allows calcium availability in horses on pastures containing oxalates