Vitamite® Fast Twitch Formula™
A potent blend of nutrients and anti-oxidants to maintain glycogen storage and mitochondria generation in fast twitch oxidative fibres
Targeting supple & smooth adaptation of fast twitch oxidative muscle fibres. A potent blend of nutrients and anti-oxidants to normalise glycogen storage and mitochondria generation in fast twitch oxidative fibres.
As horses progress (during a preparation) from paddock condition to race fitness, muscle fibres must adapt to the increasing demands made on them. When work steps up to ¾ pace, Fast Twitch Oxidative Fibres are recruited to provide the power. As with other body tissues these muscle fibres must be trained to enable them to store glycogen and to generate more mitochondria (the power houses of the muscle cell) to use glycogen. If work rate gets too far ahead of mitochondria production, muscles may lose suppleness.
Vitamite® Fast Twitch Formula™ provides specific nutrients to assist mitochondrial formation, anti-oxidant vitamins, selenium to enable glutathione peroxidase production and magnesium to address the metabolism imbalance caused by calcium flux on the muscle cell wall. For horses positive to the GYS1 gene (PSSM), feed a diet with almost no starch, e.g. Munga® and hay and add Fast Twitch Formula™ pellets. For best results, Vitamite® Fast Twitch Formula™ should be used in conjunction with an exercise program that maximises the use of the Fast Twitch Oxidative fibres.
There are 3 types of muscle fibres that need to be considered in an exercise program:
- Slow Twitch Fibres (STF) that are recruited in slow work.
- Fast Twitch Oxidative Fibres (FTO) that are recruited at ¾ pace.
- Fast Twitch Anaerobic Fibres (FTA) that are recruited when sprinting.
The purpose of this exercise regime is to work the FTO Fibres to stimulate the production of mitochondria in these muscle cells. To avoid using the Slow Twitch Fibres (STF) initial work should be at ¾ pace*, with little or preferably no warm-up. Similarly avoid sprint work as this recruits the muscle’s Fast Twitch Anaerobic Fibres, then warm down. Repeat this program twice each week for three weeks in conjunction with a daily 400g dose of Vitamite® Fast Twitch Formula™ and the extra mitochondria generated will have corrected the imbalance.
These results can also be achieved with 1 minute of energetic swimming.
*¾ pace – 600 mtrs in 45 seconds for a galloper, 800 mtrs in 68 seconds for a pacer.
Available in 12kg pails, providing a 30 day supply for 1 horse.
Daily Feeding Guide
Add 1 cup (200gs) to morning and evening feeds for 3 weeks or until smooth adaptation returns.
For horses with a history of poor adaptation, a 3 week course of Vitamite® Fast Twitch Formula™ is recommended prior to beginning of pace work.
|Each 400g (2 cups) contains:|
|Branched Chain AAs||22g|
Our latest posts See all
Mitavite® XLR8® is an oat free, energy dense muesli style complete feed incorporating the benefits of steam extrusion and micronization, especially formulated for the racing thoroughbred and standardbred. XLR8® provides high levels of essential amino acids in a horse specific profile to assist with muscle function and recovery after strenuous work.
Unique Features of Mitavite XLR8®
• Highly palatable, high spec muesli style complete feed
• Packed with “horse perfect” amino acids, vitamins, minerals and electrolytes
• Contains Bonafide®, Mitavite’s exclusive Vitamin K supplement that supports bone density and soundness
Choose Mitavite XLR8® when
• Super Premium nutrition is part of your strategy
• Rapid recovery after hard work or racing is a priority
• You want your horses to have the support of Bonafide® every day
Tried and trusted over many years, Mitavite® Economix Active® provides safe, cost effective nutrition for competition and show horses, working stock horses, pleasure horses and ponies and spellers in need of conditioning. Steam extruded to unlock the full nutritional value of its ingredients, Economix Active® is fortified with oils rich in Omega 3 to provide cool sustained energy.
Unique Features of Economix Active
• Fully steam extruded complete feed
• Nutritionally balanced to support active horses
• Barley based to support performance, weight gain and condition
• Highly palatable for even the fussiest eaters
Choose Economix Active when
• Your horse or pony is in regular work or competition
• You need to improve your horses condition or topline
• You want a complete feed that provides a good balance of protein, energy plus essential vitamins and minerals
Mitavite® Xtra-Cool® is the ideal choice for horses and ponies in light to medium work and for those horses or ponies that can’t tolerate, or don’t require high energy feeds. Xtra-Cool® contains a balanced formulation of vitamins, minerals, electrolytes and oils so you can be sure you are providing your horse or pony with the best in nutritional support without that heating effect.
Unique Features of Xtra-Cool
• Cool, non-heating formula
• Complete with vitamins, minerals and electrolytes
• Highly palatable & fully steam extruded
• Extra Magnesium for that calming effect
Choose Xtra-Cool when
• Your horse or pony is in light to medium exercise
• You horse can’t tolerate high grain rations
• You need a feed that keeps your horse looking good
• You need an economical, cool ration for spellers or breakers
Mitavite® Munga® is an economical, palatable, concentrated, low starch, gluten free muesli with no added grains that provides optimum levels of high quality, easily digested protein, amino acids, vitamins, minerals and electrolytes that provides a balanced ration when fed to suggested levels with adequate roughage. It is ideal for all horses needing more top line and muscle and for sport, show and performance horses that can't tolerate high grain rations. It is an ideal choice for horses and ponies that are good doers that can easily become overweight or are prone to laminitis. If more energy is needed, steam extruded grains, Vitamite® Power-On® or vegetable oil can be added to the ration.
Unique Features of Mitavite Munga
• Low starch level of 5.2%
• Palatable, muesli style formulation with a low feeding rate
• Contains Bonafide®, Mitavite’s exclusive Vitamin K supplement that supports bone density and good health
• Contains high levels of Essential Amino Acids
• No added grains
• Munga can be feed alone or added to a base ration to improve the integrity of the diet.
Choose Mitavite Munga when
• Your horse is in light to medium work and would benefit from a concentrated source of protein, vitamins and minerals but without the energy of carbohydrates
• Your horse requires a better topline or more lean muscle development for good health and presentation
• Your horse fizzes up on grain based feeds
• Your horse or pony is prone to, or suffering from laminitis and requires a low starch diet.
This product contains BONAFIDE®
Mitavite® Gumnuts® is Australia’s original and most trusted feed especially formulated for aged horses and ponies. Highly nutritious, palatable and safe to feed, Gumnuts® provides a unique balance of vitamins and minerals specifically formulated to address the challenges of old age. Omega 3 oils, antioxidants and essential amino acids are provided in a highly digestible form. Gumnuts® reduces to a soft mash when water is added.
Unique Features of Mitavite Gumnuts
- Fully steam extruded to maximise digestibility and nutrient utilization
- Nutrient dense to provide optimal nutrition for older horses and ponies
- Contains Bonafide® to support bone density
Choose Mitavite Gumnuts when
- Your cherished old horse or pony is struggling to maintain muscle mass and topline.
- Your older horse has poor teeth and needs his feed softened to a mash
- You horse needs the support of a premium feed during the colder months or when pasture is limited.
- Digestive function is compromised