Vitamite® Fast Twitch Formula™
A potent blend of nutrients and anti-oxidants to maintain glycogen storage and mitochondria generation in fast twitch oxidative fibres
Targeting supple & smooth adaptation of fast twitch oxidative muscle fibres. A potent blend of nutrients and anti-oxidants to normalise glycogen storage and mitochondria generation in fast twitch oxidative fibres.
As horses progress (during a preparation) from paddock condition to race fitness, muscle fibres must adapt to the increasing demands made on them. When work steps up to ¾ pace, Fast Twitch Oxidative Fibres are recruited to provide the power. As with other body tissues these muscle fibres must be trained to enable them to store glycogen and to generate more mitochondria (the power houses of the muscle cell) to use glycogen. If work rate gets too far ahead of mitochondria production, muscles may lose suppleness.
Vitamite® Fast Twitch Formula™ provides specific nutrients to assist mitochondrial formation, anti-oxidant vitamins, selenium to enable glutathione peroxidase production and magnesium to address the metabolism imbalance caused by calcium flux on the muscle cell wall. For horses positive to the GYS1 gene (PSSM), feed a diet with almost no starch, e.g. Munga® and hay and add Fast Twitch Formula™ pellets. For best results, Vitamite® Fast Twitch Formula™ should be used in conjunction with an exercise program that maximises the use of the Fast Twitch Oxidative fibres.
There are 3 types of muscle fibres that need to be considered in an exercise program:
- Slow Twitch Fibres (STF) that are recruited in slow work.
- Fast Twitch Oxidative Fibres (FTO) that are recruited at ¾ pace.
- Fast Twitch Anaerobic Fibres (FTA) that are recruited when sprinting.
The purpose of this exercise regime is to work the FTO Fibres to stimulate the production of mitochondria in these muscle cells. To avoid using the Slow Twitch Fibres (STF) initial work should be at ¾ pace*, with little or preferably no warm-up. Similarly avoid sprint work as this recruits the muscle’s Fast Twitch Anaerobic Fibres, then warm down. Repeat this program twice each week for three weeks in conjunction with a daily 400g dose of Vitamite® Fast Twitch Formula™ and the extra mitochondria generated will have corrected the imbalance.
These results can also be achieved with 1 minute of energetic swimming.
*¾ pace – 600 mtrs in 45 seconds for a galloper, 800 mtrs in 68 seconds for a pacer.
Available in 12kg pails, providing a 30 day supply for 1 horse.
Daily Feeding Guide
Add 1 cup (200gs) to morning and evening feeds for 3 weeks or until smooth adaptation returns.
For horses with a history of poor adaptation, a 3 week course of Vitamite® Fast Twitch Formula™ is recommended prior to beginning of pace work.
|Each 400g (2 cups) contains:|
|Branched Chain AAs||22g|
Our latest posts See all
Mitavite® Extru® Grains provide effective, safe feed-room options. Lupins are an excellent source of protein and can play a role in building and repairing body tissue. Steam extrusion not only improves digestibility, but limits the damage caused to the essential amino acid by processing such as pelleting micronisation and dry extrusion. Also available in Mitavite® bulka bags.
Mitavite® Economix Active® has been tried and trusted over many years. It provides safe, cost effective nutrition for competition and show horses, working stock horses, pleasure horses and ponies and spellers in need of conditioning. Steam extruded to unlock the full nutritional value of its ingredients, Economix Active® is fortified with oils rich in Omega 3 to provide cool sustained energy.
Unique Features of Economix Active
- Fully steam extruded complete feed.
- Nutritionally balanced to support active horses.
- Barley based to support performance, weight gain and condition.
- Highly palatable for even the fussiest eaters.
- Fortified with oils rich in Omega 3 to provide cool sustained energy.
- No Added Soy & Molasses*
Choose Economix Active when
- Your horse or pony is in regular work or competition
- You need to improve your horses condition or topline
- You want a complete feed that provides a good balance of energy, protein plus essential vitamins and minerals
Mitavite® Xtra-Cool® is the ideal choice for horses and ponies in light to medium work and for those that can’t tolerate, or don’t require high energy feeds. The uniquely 'x' shaped Xtra-Cool® contains a balanced formulation of vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, oils and extra Magnesium so you can be sure you are providing your horse or pony with the best in nutritional support without that heating effect.
Unique Features of Xtra-Cool
• Cool, non-heating formula.
• Complete with vitamins, minerals and electrolytes.
• Highly palatable & fully steam extruded.
• Extra Magnesium for that calming effect.
• No Added Soy & Molasses*.
• Unique 'X' shaped pellets.
Choose Xtra-Cool when
• Your horse or pony is in light to medium work
• Your horse can’t tolerate high grain rations
• You need a feed that keeps your horse looking good
• You need an economical, cool ration for spellers or breakers
Mitavite® Athlete Plus® is rich in scientifically balanced nutrients, trace minerals and electrolytes. Athlete®'s high levels of Essential Amino Acids assists with the rapid replenishment of fuel stores and muscle repair after fast work or racing, reducing recovery time. When mixed with grains of your choice, the palatable muesli style formulation of Athlete Plus® provides a complete ration for your high performance equine athlete.
Unique Features of Mitavite Athlete Plus®
- Muesli style base concentrate, packed with essential nutrients and electrolytes.
- Mitavite’s exclusive amino acid profile to support athletic performance and recovery.
- Contains Bonafide®, Mitavite®’s exclusive Vitamin K supplement that supports bone density and soundness.
Choose Mitavite Athlete Plus® when
- You want the option to adjust the grain ration for individual horses
- You need a concentrate with all Essential Amino Acids, vitamins, minerals and electrolytes required for race horses
- You want to use a feed that continues to be a proven performer at Group level
- You are wanting to support bone density and good health with Bonafide®, Mitavite®’s exclusive Vitamin K supplement.
Dr Biff’s® Vits & Trace Mins provides a balanced source of essential nutrients when only hay or dry pasture is able to be fed. Suitable for horses that cannot have access to good quality pasture or who are unable to tolerate dietary starch or sugars.
Important: Ensure sufficient fibre is fed in the form of pasture, hay or chaff
Choose Dr Biff’s® Vits & Trace Mins when
- Your horse or pony needs to reduce excessive weight
- Your horse or pony is prone to, or suffering from Laminitis
- You need to support a low-starch low-sugar diets e.g. in Metabolic Syndrome, PSSM
- You need to add nutritional value to a high fibre-high fat ration